Racial Profiling in Education Prevails
Here is a wonderful article by Stuart Taylor of National Journal on the Supreme Court's recent decision in the Grutter v. Bollinger case.
At first blush, I noted that Justice O'Conner's opinion concluded that the use of racial preferences in graduate education should not be in use in 25 years. One of the lychpins of a "narrowly tailored" remedy by governmental actors is that it be of a fixed duration. In 25 years, however, Justice O'Connor will be long gone from the Court, and one wishes that she would have taken the sage words of Milton Friedman to heart -- namely, that "there is nothing so permanent as a temporary government program."
More on this case after I have read it in its entirety.
At first blush, I noted that Justice O'Conner's opinion concluded that the use of racial preferences in graduate education should not be in use in 25 years. One of the lychpins of a "narrowly tailored" remedy by governmental actors is that it be of a fixed duration. In 25 years, however, Justice O'Connor will be long gone from the Court, and one wishes that she would have taken the sage words of Milton Friedman to heart -- namely, that "there is nothing so permanent as a temporary government program."
More on this case after I have read it in its entirety.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home